Current:Home > MarketsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Capitatum
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:48:28
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (5966)
Related
- Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
- Olivia Culpo Reacts After Christian McCaffrey's Mom Says They Can't Afford Super Bowl Suite
- Justin Timberlake's apology to 'nobody', Britney Spears' Instagram post fuel a fan frenzy
- Trial date set for white supremacist who targeted Black shoppers at a Buffalo supermarket
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Veterans advocate claims smoking gun records prove toxic exposure at military base
- AP Decision Notes: What to expect in Nevada’s presidential primary and caucuses
- Biden is left with few choices as immigration takes center stage in American politics
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- NPR's Student Podcast Challenge is back – with a fourth-grade edition!
Ranking
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Starting five: Cameron Brink, Stanford host UCLA in biggest women's game of the weekend
- Tesla recalling nearly 2.2M vehicles for software update to fix warning lights that are too small
- Massachusetts targets 26 commercial drivers in wake of bribery scandal
- Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
- 'Barbie' music producer Mark Ronson opens up about the film's 'bespoke' sound
- The 58 greatest players in Super Bowl history: Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce make cut
- Massachusetts targets 26 commercial drivers in wake of bribery scandal
Recommendation
51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
Alyssa Milano Shares Hurtful Messages Her Son Received After She Posted His Baseball Team's Fundraiser
NASA tracked a stadium-size asteroid that passed by Earth but was not a threat: See a video
Judge dismisses case against Michigan man accused of threatening Biden, Harris
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Brad Pitt to star in Quentin Tarantino's final film 'The Movie Critic': Reports
Why Taylor Swift’s globe-trotting in private jets is getting scrutinized
Ayo Edebiri, Quinta Brunson and More Black Women Already Making History in 2024